Michael Jordan Tells Court He ‘Wasn’t Afraid’ of the Racing Body in Legal Battle
Michael Jeffrey Jordan, introducing himself formally in a federal courtroom on Friday, stated that his drive to win and novelty within the sport emboldened his effort with 23XI Racing to confront Nascar over perceived violations of competition laws.
Team Investment and a Competitive Drive
Jordan shared operational insights of his 23XI team, saying he invested $40m of his personal wealth into the Cup Series operation launched with business partner Curtis Polk and driver Hamlin.
“It fell to someone to act,” Jordan stated during testimony. “As a newcomer, I wasn’t afraid. I felt I could challenge Nascar as a whole. I felt as far as the sport required examination from a different view.”
Central Issue: Franchise System and Contract Pressure
The heart of the case involves the end of a 2016 agreement where Nascar provided each team a franchise. The concept is similar to other major leagues with independent franchises, such as the Charlotte Hornets or the NFL’s Panthers. The agreement was due to end in 2024 when Nascar insisted on charter membership renewals.
Jordan was on the witness stand for about sixty minutes and exited the courthouse to a media frenzy, with onlookers and reporters clamoring for a glimpse or a photo of the sports legend.
Leading the Legal Charge
Jordan’s 23XI is at the forefront of the push along with Front Row Motorsports for Nascar to overhaul a operating model Jordan said is unlawful to keep two hands on the wheel.
At issue for Jordan and Heather Gibbs, who preceded Jordan, are details from September 2024. Gibbs described a frantic and emotional period where the racing circuit informed teams they must sign a contract extension. This agreement spanned 112 pages detailing pay for chartered teams and a guaranteed spot in every race.
Choosing Litigation
Jordan explained that 23XI and Front Row Motorsports concluded their only feasible option was to decline to sign that 112-page package and litigate the matter. All other teams agreed to the terms.
The team owners approached Nascar about possible changes or negotiations. Nascar wasn’t talking, Jordan said.
The Bottom Line: Winning
Ultimately, the pushback against what he saw as a financially unsustainable model was driven by the familiar goal for Jordan: Winning.
“Hamlin persuaded me adding a third car boosted our odds of winning,” he testified, sharing that he bought a third charter last year for $28 million amid the legal dispute. “So I dove in.”
Account from the Gibbs Family
Heather Gibbs detailed her request for permanent charters, which she said a written letter to Nascar. She testified the pressure of the contract signing demand didn’t sit well.
She said, the team founder first attempted to call and talk Nascar out of forcing signatures, but CEO Jim France refused the appeal.
“Please don’t force this on us,” Gibbs recounted was the message to Nascar’s executives. The response was, “Whether I have 20 charters, I have 20. If there are 30, that’s the number.”